Minutes of the meeting held on the 3rd MARCH 2003 in the CRAIGNURE HALL
PRESENT :Alan Mc Connochie, Michael Ackerley, Derek Crook, Sandy Brunton, Tom Bettley, Georgia OíNeill.
APOLOGIES : Olive Brown, David Gracie, Jo Reade.
MINUTES : Minutes of the meeting on 3rd February 2003 proposed by Sandy and seconded by Michael.
MATTERS ARISING : FERRY COMMITTEE - <MICHAEL> will provide a list of concerns regarding issues raised at the meetings to send to MPís, MSPís etc. Councillor Ian Gillies of Tiree has raised Committee concerns through the Ferry Consultative meetings.
ROAD UPGRADE - Alasdair held a meeting in the Aros Hall and announced that monies had been made available for the planning of the upgrade. This £400,000 means that should funds appear at short notice the road upgrade would be in a great position to proceed. The campaign will use STRAG as its focal point and work actively to maintain momentum. All at the Chamber meeting congratulated Alasdair on his efforts. Sandy has completed articles for the website and the Muileach.
TRAVEL FAIR - Alan, Maureen of VisitScotland and Derek Mc Adam of Holiday Mull held a meeting to discuss our joint stand. The Hol.Mull/Chamber/MICT display panels will be used on the stand. Alan will provide whisky tasting samples and will approach other producers on the Island to do the same. VisitScotland has provided an outfit, well polo shirts, to the reps. as well as Abby Kirsop and much assistance from AILLST. Derek will provide display materials and has produced an article for the Fair programme. Alan and Derek will try to raise sponsorship through brochure advertising.
ANNUAL DINNER - <ALAN AND SANDY> will prepare an agenda for a breakfast meeting with Bob Leitch. Those interested in attending the meeting contact Alan.
HUSTINGS - Sandy advised that a Hustings could not be organised in time.
AGM - <ALAN> will send Georgia details to e-mail members.
PRESIDENT : Sandy advised on correspondence received in the month. The problem of recruiting staff was raised by Sandy. A general discussion followed with employers present commenting on similar problems.
COMM. TRUST UPDATE - Derek advised that the two re-cycling positions had been filled.
WEBSITE - <GEORGIA> will show links to other sites including the Scottish and Glasgow Chambers. Georgia reported on good responses to Chamber e-mails.<TOM AND GEORGIA> will work on the membership renewals and e-mail details will be included.
TREASURER - Tom reported a balance of £2685.11.
SECRETARY - Alan advised information on licensees courses is still being received and will report back. Alan has ordered a supply of Chamber labels at a cost of £265.00 + vat. Alan reported on an attempted fraud concerning credit cards. A phoned order was placed and credit card details taken. The amount was accepted and an authorisation code given. A Distilleries organisation advised Alan of a potential fraud at other sites and Alan was able to cancel the order. Members may be interested in the fact that an authorisation code only advises you that the account has enough funds and does not necessarily mean your account will be credited. Phoned orders should not be taken from mobile phones and unusual orders should be checked through your bank. Alan commented on the correspondence received in the month.
AOCB - Sandy is the Chamber rep. on the Scottish Islands network. Its website address is Scottishislands.org. <ALAN> will send details of the Fax preference service to Georgia for inclusion on the website.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING - Following the AGM, 7th April 2003 in the Craignure Hall at 8pm.